Saturday, August 12, 2006

I'm So Smart, S-M-R-T, I mean S-M-A-R-T

First proof that the above statement is untrue (note: it is off the Simpson's) I am currently in Iraq. Next point I am in the United States Army National Guard until I am 24. Join the Army, I've seen South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kuwait, and Iraq. I'll let you guess as to which of these locations I've always wanted to see... I'll save you the time; NONE OF THEM!
Dating from 24 Jan 2005, I have been at home for... 127 days, or a bit over four months. I was in South Carolina for 134 days for Basic and AIT. I've been on Nebraska soil for two days in the year 2006.
If I'd had known this upon signing up for the Nebraska Army National Guard; I'd be working at McDonald's flipping burgers for all I care. Actually about June of 2004 I decided I didn't want to be in the Army anymore, (I had enlisted in December of 2003) so I blew off drill for three months until my recruiter tracked me down. I remember he set up an appointment for me to go to him, I said screw it and forced him to finally come to me. I told him I didn't want to go to Iraq so I got set up with a Admin job, which I decided to take despite the fact I had a clear shot to get out. Then ontop of that PV2 Fleck blows off drill for three months and decides not to contact anyone whatsoever and what do we do... promote him to PFC Fleck before he leaves for Basic Training. Went through Basic Traing and AIT, too easy even for somebody such as myself who didn't want to be there.

I get back home and drill with my unit for two drills, in those drills I decided that I don't want to be a 42A anymore, I'd rather be in the Aviation field. So I get myself in a 15P slot and am planning on going to school in January of 2006. One month later I am informed that I am being INVOLUTARILY ATTACHED to another deploying unit. I get about three weeks heads up, which I appreciated immensily. So now I am in a country which I don't want to be in, doing a job I don't like, in the Army which for some stupid reason I didn't duck out of when I had the shot. It's a great experience though...at least thats what I'm told. A great experience for me at least doesn't constitute being here. Lesson learned, if I'm being held hostage for 20,000 dollars and I just happen to have the ability to get 20,000 dollar signing bonus up front if I re-enlist. Then I'll miss life but there are fates worst than death and six more years of this and I won't have to worry about somebody else shooting me... I'll take care of it myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home