Friday, September 01, 2006

This is For You Kane

My Bold 2006 Nebraska Cornhusker Football Predictions:

First off I disagree with the majority of people who believe this is a 2-3 loss season. There is no reason this couldn't be a 1 loss season.
1.) Our secondary will be exposed and teams will take aim. This may work out well with us considering the front seven are very solid. Teams will throw deep on us, they may be successful but the catch is whether the quaterback will be laid out before he has a chance to throw the ball.
2.) If our offensive line is as solid as is being said and we have four running backs so solid that we could not distiguish a starter among them our offense will be solid. If Zach Taylor is as solid as the last three games last season, and the offensive line actually decides to make holes for the RB and give Zach time to air it out, we will only lose one game.

My overwhelming opinion on defense is it only has to be good enough to give up less points than your offense is capable of scoring. If the defense can force turnovers and your special teams is great then you don't need a shutdown defense. I think our offense is capable of putting up five touchdowns any given game. I think our running game will be effective and the variation in styles of all four backs will make the opposing defense struggle. And if the running game is successful then the passing game is going to pick opponents apart. Our defense is going to give up some big plays and our secondary isn't going to play up to par of the rest of the defense. I don't like Tierre Green in the secondary. And I really don't like Courtney Grixby either. I think our secondary is going to be exploited pretty well. We will get to the quarterback, and we will force interceptions and errors in general by the starting QBs. We will give up points, we're not going to be a shutdown defense. We will give ground to teams, but our front seven are going to be a menance.

Here's what it comes down to, if Callahan's offense does what I believe its capable of and resembles the flashes of dominance visible in the final three games of last year then this is going to be an exciting season. We will run through the Big 12 North and with the exception of Texas or USC will dominate the schedule. We will beat either USC or Texas. One of those two teams will fall to us. We won't lose both. This will be a great season and I think this is Callahan's make or break season. If this season goes 8-4, with the brand new athletic facilites and the remodeling of Memorial Stadium, Callahan needs to fix it fast.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason...I was browsing Milbloggin.com and yours was the most recently updated blog. I am happy to have read your posts. I was affected most by what you said about the decision you made, and how you felt when everyone else was off to school. Listen man, the same thing happened to me. I am now an old guy, but when I was 18 I took on a quest to make $ and made the unfortunate choice not to go to school (Didn't join mil, but was a weird job all the same). Anyway, for a few years I felt like I had been left behind, but the truth is, looking back, all those people faded away after a while anyway, and life turned out allright. I finally went to school at age 40! I graduated in 2004 from Univ. of AZ. So man, you can do it if you ever get the hell out of there. I was a rock n' roll radio disc jockey for 23 years, and many times it was a lonely, weird, isolating job, but eventually the decision to not go to school paid off. I'm a lot richer now, both financially and mentally. It would be cool to hear from you. my address is info@charliemorriss .com Thanks for a great blog!

06 September, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home